Express Lines will chronicle the adventures of MotherTrucker & The Rev, a.k.a. Pat & Nick Connavino as, together, they motor across North America, expediting freight for FedEx Custom Critical.
The fuel tanks are full, the parking brake has been released,
the gearshift is in Drive, and the Kenworth is rollin'...........

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Monday Moaning

Hi Gang,

Following yesterday's air brake system snafu, we planned on getting the truck at 7:30 a.m., loadin'-er-up, and puttin'-er-back in service later on Monday morning.

At 7:30 a.m., Pat and I were at the truck. I started her up, got full air pressure (thank you, Char and Dave) and gave Pat the "thumbs-up"! Pat left to do some final shopping.

I began to move the truck, only to experience some slipping in the snow that was in front and behind the truck. After some small manuevers, I chose to head forward, as there was insufficient room to turn behind me. I got the cab and sleeper out of the space, but the rear tires got stuck in the snow. (I loves rear-wheel drive, in the snow).

Naturally, I proceeded to try moving backward and forward, and rocking the truck. Still stuck, ##^^?? (Read as very annoyed)
Using the scraper end of the snow brush, I removed snow around the rear tires and tried again...Still stuck, ##^^??>>:##. (Read as even more annoyed)

Next, I tried using a camping shovel....Yep, still stuck...and YEP, lots more @#$%^&^%$#@! (Angry, using choice words)

Called the storage lot office....Voicemail. @#$%^&*()_+ (More, not so pleasant thoughts & words)

Next, the camping shovel and rock salt...@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@! (Add your own comments)

BLINK!!! (A light bulb)...I have tire chains.

Got them out, put them onto the rear tires...geez these chains are heavy...ohhh, they're doubles, to cover the dual rear tires. Couldn't secure them, but hoped by slowly accelerating, the chains would move under the tires and offer some traction. Ha, Ha, hee, hee, the chains just flew off the tires...Still stuck...more ha, ha, hee, hee.

Called the storage lot office, again. Got someone...Carl, a very nice person. He was aware of yesterday's problem. I told him that Char and Dave were saving angels. But, that was yesterday.

Today, I was stuck in snow, that should have been plowed away from the parking spaces. And, that I had been at this get-the-truck-unstuck party for 2.5 hours! (Please note, that though very angry, I was rather friendly...none of this, "@#$%^&*()_+?><":!)

Carl said he would get the snowplow truck. When he arrived at our truck, he asked how his truck could help. I replied that unless his pickup truck could push or pull my truck out, it was pretty-much useless.

I said that I should be compensated for having to deal with the snow that, again, should have been plowed. At this point, I was talking a minimum of 4 months rent-free. And, that what I, really, needed was a heavy tow (truck), and that I was not going to pay for it.

He returned to his truck and, soon, told me that he had contacted a towing service, and the storage lot's owner, regarding my other request.

Carl returned to my stuck-truck and emptied bags of rock salt around each set of tires. I climbed in the cab and got'er out of the snow. Carl helped me gather all my tools and off I went.

Bad news...see above. Good news...as I was leaving the storage lot, I got a load opportunity, which after some discussion on pick-up time, we got the load.

At 2:00 p.m., Pat and I headed to Perry, OH for pickup. Delivery was Monday night, in Hebron, KY, just over the Ohio River, south of Cincinnati. Following delivery, layover was in Dayton, OH.

What a GREAT start to the work week. But, at least, I've gotten rid of all of those !@#$%^&*()_+}:{"?!!!s.

Happy Trails...see you in Blogsville.

Nick

No comments: